Since I was young, I have always been fascinated with personality tests or anything that would help you describe yourself. I remember going to Chinese restaurants and the table mat was the Chinese Zodiac. It would describe the animal (and your personal traits) you were based on the year of your birth.
Chinese Astrology, based on their thousand year history, would claim to know your personality, who you were compatible with, and in some cases what your future was going to be like! For me, while it was fun to go through the Chinese Zodiac, I learned to appreciate a more scientific approach with personality tests.
I have taken at least several dozen different types over my lifetime (military, political, ministries, marriage counseling, job opportunities, etc). Recently, companies like Google and other Tech companies have taken personality testing to the next level to make sure they hire the right type of person for the right job.
Not all personality tests are created equal and there is none that is perfect and can describe us perfectly. I believe that understanding your personality, your strengths, your weaknesses, and your tendencies is a crucial component of achieving success. Playing to our strengths is much more effective than only working on your weaknesses.
Our personality will change a certain degree over time, which is why I take the test at least yearly to see where I am at and in what ways I have changed (and hopefully matured!). A personality is difficult to change, but attitudes can be changed over time.
Here are the list of some of my favorite personality tests. You can click the links to take them and get your personality type! Check back as I frequently update the tests below!
- The Myers Brigg Type Indicator (MBTI) is one of the most popular ones and very in-depth. (Take the online MBTI test here and if you want more detailed information you can click here) They have over the years refined their process to be more accurate in their evaluation. Did you know that your personality type is directly correlated to your income? See the chart below and take the test to see where you fit!
- Social Styles Test – Why is it so hard to work well with some people? In People Styles at Work by Robert Bolton and Dorothy Grover Bolton they found four unique behavioral patterns and created the Social Style Model. Being aware of your own social style helps a person better understand how they interact with others, develop relationships, get work done, and make decisions.
- Gallup Strengthsfinder 2.0 – To help people uncover their talents, Gallup introduced the first version of its online assessment, StrengthsFinder, in 2001 which ignited a global conversation and helped millions to discover their top five talents. This book and corresponding test is the updated version. I have read both books and they are excellent! There are hundreds of strategies for applying your strengths. When you buy the book, you get a code to take the test online and gives your the results immediately.
- Strengths Test – Similar to the Strengthsfinder test, this Test will help you find your preferred way of thinking, feeling, and behaving. These questions and results were crafted based on the Personality and Strengths Movements.
- Discovering Your S.H.A.P.E. Test is a simple test that can give you a basic personality overview
- Discover your 5 P’s – How to Change Your Life and Maximize Your Potential with 5 Ps of Profession and Purpose
Keep in mind these tests do not measure character, abilities or traits. The important thing to glean from the test is to understand and appreciate the differences in people. It also helps in self-awareness.
One of the most important things is to understand is that there is no right or wrong personality. Each personality type is equal. The goal of knowing about personality type is to understand and appreciate differences between people. As all types are equal, there is no best type.THE RIGHT PERSONALITY IS YOUR PERSONALITY. The Importance isn’t based on what personality type you have, it’s what you do with your personality that’s important.
In taking the questionnaire, there is no right answer since everyone comes in different shapes and sizes. It is important to know that there are other personality tests and different versions of the MBTI. No test is completely comprehensive and you may find your personality changes over time.